Rolling hills, forests, meadows, creeks, and wetlands across the Kawarthas give the area its unique character. The health of rural properties has a significant impact on the overall health of the Kawartha watershed, including its many lakes. There are many things you can do to both enhance the rural qualities of your property, while protecting watershed health. Some of the benefits of best management practices include:
- A biodiverse, resilient ecosystem that wards off invasive species
- Native wildlife habitat
- Reduced flooding
- Clean surface and ground water
- Reduced erosion and sedimentation that can impact fish spawning beds.
What actions can I take?
- Establish healthy riparian buffer zones next to waterways
- Maintain forests
- Plant trees in unforested areas
- Leave wetlands alone
- Control invasive plants.