Sturgeon Lake Management Plan
The Sturgeon Lake Management Plan was initiated in 2010, and will involve 3 years of research.
In 2014, we will prepare a set of recommendations and actions based on the research, with the goal of maintaining and enhancing the environmental health and economic sustainability of Sturgeon Lake and the lands that drain to it.
We are currently undertaking studies throughout the Sturgeon Lake watershed to identify and investigate various issues and concerns. See a map of the watershed and monitoring locations.
Plan development is a collaborative effort among many agencies, groups and stakeholders who have an interest in the health of our lakes. See more about our partners.
Potential issues that we are investigating:
- Storm water and contaminated runoff from urban areas
- Excessive nutrients, potentially resulting in more aquatic plant growth
- Increased development pressures around the lake, shoreline, and tributaries
- Contamination from recreational activities
- High counts of E-coli in lake water near public beaches and canals
- Discharge from wastewater treatment
- Contaminated sediments in the lake
- Metals and other contaminants in the water
- Invasive species
Find out more about lake management planning:
- Lake Management Planning Home - An introduction to lake management planning in the City of Kawartha Lakes
- Early Actions - Easy things you can do today to help protect Sturgeon Lake
- News, Events, Reports - Information, resources and updates on lake management planning in the City of Kawartha Lakes
- Plan Development - Using a multiphase approach, objectives of the plans
- Maps - Maps of the watersheds, lakes and monitoring locations
- Partners - The various groups, agencies and stakeholders involved in guiding and developing lake management plans in the City of Kawartha Lakes
Stay in touch! Receive news, information and updates on the SLMP and other activities in the Kawartha Conservation watershed. Please enter your email address below.